Listen to me.

Monday, February 13, 2012

The week didn't kick off well, but Alhamdulillah it went smoothly as I plan and I am very happy about it. What I realized was that I can pin point learners who are not doing well or skidded off track. I just need to pay more attention to them and think of ways to note their area of weakness and work it out.

Language Arts

As I blogged last week, I would start the week with the overdue language arts class. Although we didn't have much  time to draw the characters from the story but Alhamdulillah we managed to sing and dance and role play (in groups). I used my sons' snail and puppy doll to tell them the story. It seemed to me that they enjoyed it very much. Different intonation and voice were used to differentiate the characters. Later, I explained the concept of morning, afternoon and evening by relating it to their daily activities.

Listening and Speaking

The lesson kick off with the singing of Hello Song and the Good Morning Song. The pupils are always excited when they are ask to stand and sing. Even the quiet ones would participate, although not as eager as the rest of the crowd, but still... they can and they would! WOW!! I extended the singing session to include the Good Afternoon Song and the Good Evening Song. It was intended to refresh their mind on the previous lesson.

Week 4: Listen to me album on the Facebook
Next, pupils were taught the instructions in the classroom. Some of it I had use in the class for instance stand up, sit down, look at the board, take out your book and clear your table. The addition to these instructions were, raise your hand, clean the board and switch on/off the lights/fan. I find these instructions a lot to remember in one day!

However, the lesson should be applied everyday, delivered in a clear loud voice precisely. In time, they will remember it all. We also did the exercise in activity book. This was where I found some of my learners inability to understand and remember the instructions given. In 1S, some of them were able to repeat the instruction in English, am I amaze!

Reading

The letters introduced were M, m, N and n. We went through the shapes of the alphabet, the capitalization and the phonics. /m/ sounds like licking and ice-cream while /n/ required little imagination by touching the tip of the nose and sound ne ne ne ne...something like that.

To make the association of the letters and sounds, picture cards were needed to demonstrate the link between the two. I found some pictures on the web, turn it into laminated picture cards and did some activities from it. Pupils then were asked to match the pictures to the correct grapheme and phoneme.







Writing

I think I like the writing session the most. It was such a productive day especially for 1S. I plan to cover letter M, m, N and n. Unfortunately, I spent too much time in 1P focusing on mechanics of writing, they only managed to finish M and m only.

In writing class, I don't allow for tardiness. Those with bad handwriting need to rewrite in their writing book. I spent time to monitor each and everyone of them to ensure cleanliness and tidiness. Pupils with backlog were allow to continue with the day task only when they have done their overdue work in quarantine (at the tables situated at the back of the class).

Some I did let go of these rules as I sensed of their learning disability and I do hope with constant reminder and guidance, sooner or later their writing will improve. Me too, keep reminding myself that this is a continuous process and I have to cut some slack once in a while.

Language Arts

I think this week can be called a "discount week" as we had two language arts class. So much for fun! :D
This time it was a rhyme from the text. What I did was, I used the picture cards to teach them the rhyme without having to read from the textbook. After a while practicing, I taught them how to make an ant hand puppet from and A4 paper.

It took them some time to finish the task. We conclude the lesson by presenting the rhyme in front of the class. Well, they need the teacher to say it out loud first, especially for 1P. But then, I found 1P was rather expressive considered to 1S. Surprise2!!!

I will upload the videos in few days. I hate how my voice sound in it. But you will love the expression on their faces and watch out for some candid moments!









Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!