Encouraging homework completion

Sunday, March 06, 2011

During my training in the TTC, my supervisor told me not to give children homework. His reason was children need time outside the classroom to enjoy their childhood. I certainly agree with him as I seen my younger sister toiled with homework until the wee hours during her primary.

Nowadays, I am torn between my belief and the demands of higher authority. Last year, during JNJK observation, they insisted for me to give out more exercises to the pupils. Looking back, I've realized I didn't give out as many because there was not much time in class. The only way to get more exercise done is by assigning homework. Which honestly, I'm not in favor of. Therefore during class I gave ample work for the pupils to complete but many can't finish in time. These unfinished work, later become an 'involuntary homework'.

Any work assigned home or 'involuntarily assigned' would result in infavorable consequences. Pupils seldom complete them. I find it very frustrating. I am not sure the level of involvement from the parents but the pupils themselves hardly care about their work.

This week, I've read through some articles to help myself and them complete their work and reduce the tension in the classroom.

It is worthy to note this article.

How to Encourage Challenging Students to Turn in Homework by Diane Trim.

1. No busy work

2. No time sinks
3. Begin in class
4. Stop by
5. Follow up
6. Extend an invitation
7. Make a lunch date
8. Call home
9. Talk to the coach
10.Take an interest in the student

I think I can do something. I am trying my best to think and act accordingly in order to overcome this problem.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. m so proud!!! n so proud of u 2... i still remember dat day wen we talk about homework ...
    dear, another thing dat we s teachers should remember, "wat's important is not how much n how well a teacher teaches, but how much n how well our students learn" ... dis is wat i'm trying 2 inculcate within my students for d past few years...
    all d best 2 u dear!!!
    noddibrahim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!