My Online Readings

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

    • Even Some Veteran Teachers Haven’t Considered Teaching Procedures In This Depth…
    • wonder what their secret is.  The secret lies in the first few days and weeks of school.  The first few days of school are SO crucial.  If a teacher allows and ignores whispering in the hallway now, then students will be yelling in the hallway by Christmas.  You must “nip it in the bud” my college professor once told me.  If students don’t do EXACTLY what you want the first few days of school, you must make them practice it over and over again until you get EXACTLY the behaviors you desire.
    • In our conversation I said “Remember every behavior that got on your nerves last year,”.
    •  
       
      I am attaching a picture of a classroom I visited for a lesson study.  I took a picture of this poster because I was impressed with how specific the procedures were as the teacher had discussed them with her students.



      Realizing procedures must be specific for students to follow is nothing that you are taught in college, but rather something that you develop over time as a seasoned teacher.

      A teacher at my school recently shard an article by Lee Canter from his article “More Than Names on the Board and Marbles in a Jar” which I wish someone had shared with me when I first started my teaching career.  I will share this excerpt from his article with you…

      “First, whenever teachers want students to follow certain directions, they must teach the specific behaviors. Teachers too often assume that students know how they are expected to behave. Teachers first need to establish specific directions for each activity during the day ‑ lectures, small‑group work, transitions between activities, and so forth. For each situation, teachers must determine the exact behaviors they expect from the students.”
Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!