Classroom Rules for the beginning of school year. Part One.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

I've been teaching for almost seven years now. Still, I have some dilemma over deciding on rules that can highly contribute to effective classroom management. There is no exact formula in establishing rules. As students come and go, rules need constant revision to ensure its reliability and validity in our present teaching context.
 
In preparation for next year, I browsed through some of the websites that can provides some ideas concerning this matter. One good thing about this is I will be able to reflect on my teaching practices while reading some of the ideas presented. Therefore, I can select which rules might suit my class more.

In establishing rules, a teacher should remember that rules are meant for both parties. The teacher and the students. It is unfair to presume the teacher is a saint and does everything well. I think this is where I am lacking. All this while, I did not lay out rules for myself to adhere. It is just a belief in my mind on how a teacher should behave in the classroom.

For a start, I need to set up rules for myself. It must not be too ambitious, just a few to start with so that it can be realistic and well observed. I find the ones suggested on this website provide the guidance I needed. I find the rules are attainable and it is one step higher than my current standing, intellectually and ability. To sound academic, you can say I am quoting Krashen's i+1 here.  :) 

 
An article wrote by Shelly Vernon

The rules suggested focus on teacher's attitude in earning the love and respect of the students. A good classroom management should hold on to this virtue in the first place as teacher is the decision maker and the highest authority in the classroom. I am a firm believer of this, love and respect will gets a person far in his/her life.

 

Good Classroom Management Rule 1 
Be a mentor not a friend and earn the children's trust by being firm, fair and consistent. 

 A mentor!! Wow, guess I should mind my footsteps now...In terms of learning, I've been trying to demonstrate it. I brought my leisure reading to class, put it on the table, for them to have a glance on my personal favourite. Decorating my space in the staffroom with English proverbs and books. Sharing my favourite English songs or film. There is one time I brought my thesis to show them, and showcase my graduation picture on the class Facebook. I just want them to know that learning takes a whole life to complete. You can never call yourself to clever because acquiring knowledge is a never ending process.

 What I miss in understanding this concept is (as mentioned in the article), being a mentor also involve demonstrating in terms of how I expect them to behave.  I am only strict when it comes to homework submission but on other things I am off high tolerance. As much as I want to be strict most of the time, it certainly clashes with my personality.

 Maybe starting from next year, I must learn how to be strict in some expect for example tardiness and courtesy, besides the one I am already being particular of. In addition, I need to be consistent in reinforcing my new rules therefore respect and trust can be earned. Children are good in identifying the inconsistency in your class management and sometimes they can easily manipulate you to their own advantage.

 

Good Classroom Management Rule 2  
Show your pupils that you care about them. 
 
 Being strict doesn't mean you have to stop being human. There are teachers who believe that teachers belong with teachers and pupils belong with pupils. This segregation of thoughts should be non-existence at all! I find it ridiculous and absurd at the same time. Teachers and pupils relationship is symbiotic. We cannot function without one another We need one another to be able to call ourselves, teachers or pupils.
 
Outside the classroom, teachers must show thoughtfulness, displaying caring and loving characteristics openly. Take time to appreciate your pupils outside of the classroom. Once in a while I would spend recess with them at their table. Eat the same food and talk about their favourite activities. Sometimes I would check out the school bookshop and find out what they have been spending their on, talk about it and maybe play a little. I can see their faces beaming whenever I talk to them and they ease a little.

 During my school days, I hardly remember any teachers who did that. But my teacher trainer, Mr. Nodd Ibrahim displayed these attitudes by constantly dropping by our class, singing aloud, inviting us to his place and it made us feel very special compared to other classes. A teacher, certainly has the power to change how people feel about themselves and this is what I hope to be. So this rule is certainly me!

 
Good Classroom Management Rule 3 
Get closer to your pupils. 
  
Closer? I think this apply in the classroom. Teacher should not distance herself, by being near the chalkboard too much, or behind the desk. Walking around to inspect your pupils work, taking a seat to different pupils each time or simply move around the class while teaching. Therefore, pupils will never be too comfortable around you (they will try to do their work as quickly) and keep them in focus of the task.

 
 I know, I am guilty by opting to sit when I am teaching sometimes. I must learn to find a solution to this as when I got tired, I have the tendency to sit. I sat on the desk, sometimes I stacked chairs and sat on them or sat on the pupils desk, I can get enough of sitting! Hmm...I should work on this rule, harder...

 

Good Classroom Management Rule 4 
Praise and encourage good behaviour.  

Children love praises! Give them heap of praises, never be stingy but do it appropriately, only when they deserved it. I am good at this, I know. Some bragging will not hurt here.  ;) Children's self-worth and esteem will increase when they are praised. I noticed my pupils appreciate the praises and encouragement because they smiled a lot throughout the class and the environment of classroom become pleasant and the pupils tend to be highly cooperative.
 
Relating to the Malay culture, praises are not often given. I wonder what is wrong by giving praises that you deserve. After all, we need to be appreciated for the hard work we put into something and by praising, it will encourage a better one in the future. A praise can only be wrong when it is not given to the rightful owner, done without sincerity and this can be understood even by a young learner.

Praises, may not be in verbal form per se, written praises, displaying work, appointment of  class captain, star awards can be seen as praises and serve as encouragements for the pupils. This way, they can relate their achievement to the praise and the reward the get from it.

 
Good Classroom Management Rule 5 
Make your teaching style interesting and varied. 

 
 Ideas? Do not fear. Abundance of materials and teaching ideas available on the web, if you are not into flipping books nowadays. The most important thing is to realize the need of the class and work hard in fulfilling it. Learning various theories on teaching will help a teacher a lot in choosing the right methods to tap in the different learning styles of the students.  

 As I observed, learners aged 7-9 love kinaesthethic activities. They love anything that got to do with movements, so dancing and singing and some games will help them learn better. The 10-12 years old pupils like singing as well but they tend to be a little shy with the movement so I let them focus on their singing and maybe do a little clapping and bodily sound to encourage their participation.

Keeping chalk and talk to the minimum is something I hope to do. Not only that chalk residue is bad for health but it also take some of your time away from the class.Well it certainly violate some the rules above!

 

Having reviewed all the rules presented in the article, I think I can adopt  and adapt it as mine. Things are going to change here and there but I wish this would be the core. I want to have a co0rporative classroom next year and I hope the measures will assist me in realizing my dreams.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!