My pupils finished early, now what?

Friday, September 19, 2014


We always hope that our classroom activities are enough.

I dreaded when pupils yell "I have finished my work, madam!"

Sometimes I prepared extra work prior to class.

Other times I asked them to be junior teachers, coaching their peers.

or I gave them toys to play,

help me with class management,

silent reading,

group play with the flash cards,

you name it, just about everything under the classroom lights!

Recently,  I encountered a teacher having this problem. Her pupils finished work early and became unruly until she straighten them out.

As her coach, I should help her solve this problem so I searched on the internet for some ideas....

and

I think teachers can try this...

1. Keep a pile of old newspapers in the classroom. 

When they have finished their work ask them to take a page and...
highlight words that describe their friends. 
Later, pupils can draw his or friends and write the words around it.

2. Play a game of snake and ladder.

All you need is a template, downloadable on the internet. Here's a sample

Picture from sparklebox

Laminate it. 

Gave the pupils colourful erasable marker pens and ask them to write the words they have learnt in the boxes.
They can use their erasers as markers. (I think teacher must supply a die)
Pupils can spell or act when they landed on the words...(or whatever!)

3.  Make a HELLO card

Teachers must have stacks of colourful papers for the pupils disposal. Pupils can make a HELLO card for their love ones wishing them well.

Let them to be creative!

4. Memory Booster

Teacher provides pupils with picture cards. Pupils arrange it face down. Their goal is to get a matching set. At one time, only two cards are allowed to be turned. Pupils need to remember the location of the cards to get the match!

5. Love the colours!

Teachers can print colouring pages from DLTK's. Have abundance of copies print, in different themes. Pupils may choose according to their preference. 


So...


 All you need is a magic box.

Prepare the box prior to the academic year and review it every now and then.

Suit it with the activities that you want to do.

In this case...

You can stuffed the box with:

i) Old newspapers
ii) Laminated snake and ladder template
iii) Colourful A4 Papers
iv) Picture Flash Cards
v) Colouring pages
vi) Pens, Markers, Coloured Pencils


Give it a try!








You Might Also Like

2 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!