Do you now about Lapbook?

Friday, May 19, 2017

Common to some, New to some.

New to me.

I think it is not peculiar to have the experience of discovering something new. I happened to find lapbook on a site I frequent and excited to do it. If you too think lapbook is alien to you, check out this video.



Generally I think lapbooking is a collection of materials of a topic. Instead of the old scrapbooking or worksheet as evidence of learning, lapbooking provides a fresh perspective. Students may choose the materials, plan the layout and organise their ideas.

Lapbooking is not an end production of learning but it is done continuously throughout the topic. Therefore it may be one of the alternatives in conducting formative assessment. The progress of the pupils may be easily tracked and documented by observing the depth of learning and the evidence of applying higher order thinking. Pupils may analyse information, compare and contrast and create something of their own. The more pupils learn about something, they would want to showcase more.

The weaker learners will be motivated to showcase too because it doesn't require them to write essays which are tedious and difficult for them. As pupils are making choice on the presentation, they will feel empowered and less intimidated.

As for myself, I started lapbooking to present my daughter's behavioural progress. At the moment, there is her good girl chart for last week's Masjeed trip and I hope to include the do's and don't at the Masjeed, with her help of course.


Recycle Materials for Lapbook

Front Cover 

Inside the book for now

I used recycle materials like cardboard, stickers and printed materials from past projects. Some lapbooks shown on the net use paper file and and teacher will print materials specifically for the book. I wish to avoid that because I believe we have alternatives such as drawing and writing directly on them. This would allow creativity on the pupils' part.

These are some resources for lapbooking which I like. Click on them to check it out.



Give it a try, I know you will find dash of difference for your class!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!