My favourite toys

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Unit 15. The lessons progressed through all the elements in the modular configuration as stipulated in the Dokumen Standard Kurikulum. The way I plan it revolved around the words based on the word list on page 69.


The words were from the previous phonics activities and these words were just addition to reinforce learning. During the listening and speaking activities, we revised on the phonics and graphemes. The association of the sound and the letters are very important because they need it for future independent reading.

For this purpose, I devised a guessing game. I wrote down the words on coloured cards. One card for a word. Each word will carry its own marks. 




 For example, the difficult words will reward 3 stars, 2 stars and the easiest will only reward 1 star. Pupil will choose a card and based on the word, he or she will sound the letters. The rest of the class has to say out the exact word.

I wrote it in my lesson notes as oral segmenting and oral blending of the sound. It may sound easy to us teachers, but pupils need to practice their listening skill in order to answer. They love the competitive environment this game produce but I can also see some skillful listeners in my class. 

Next focus would be the reading skill which involved drawing activity. At first I want to do the "win, lose or draw" version game, unfortunately the weaker class can't appreciate it, so I just got them to draw it in their book.

I showed them the words from the cards used in the last class and they drew in their book. That's it! It is a very simple reading activity. Maybe I was too tired because I was sick that day. Hmm....

The writing activity showed a little bit of focus, on my part. It was split into 2 days. the first day it is just the normal boring routine writing in the writing exercise book, which I know they will remember me for it. Writing repetitively until their fingers swell, it's payback time! On the next day, I prepared 3 worksheets. The worksheets: 


The worksheets mainly require them to spell all the words that we have learned during the week. On the third page of the worksheet, they need to complete a simple sentence by using the picture as a guide. This worksheet was meant for the proficient learners.

This activity however can be done with the textbook as I don't want anybody to skip doing just when they don't know how to spell. Looking for words in the textbook can be challenging as well, only then the focus will be reading, but I'm not greedy, as long as learning is there. 

Improvisation was required for the weaker learners. On the first page of the worksheet, I wrote down the words and they need to listen to the words being pronounced and write it on the worksheet. As for the second page of the worksheet, I asked them to number the pictures and listen closely.

They only need to write the numbers on the appropriate letter column when they hear the initial sound of the words being pronounced.

Very much of listening and speaking exercises, and the only writing focus here was when I got them to copy the words into the correct column. For the weaker learners, I think I should design another worksheet altogether in order to get the focus right. 

Language arts class was a brief, we made the paper boat, sing a song, went to the school pool to play and sing along! It was fun and also it was a school day Saturday...




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!