May I part 2

Sunday, March 04, 2012


I find it is very important to got through his unit again. based on the small scale test I've conducted, I find learners  were able to sound the letters and read the words but cannot connect the words with the meaning. Therefore, I decided to do the topic once again as a revision with the whole module in full swing before moving on to unit 6, which new letters and sound will be introduced.

Listening and Speaking
Molly and her red napkin

Its Molly and Nat in action again! My pupils were captivated by the Big Book! I'm flattered! They love it when I flipped through the pages and I can hear the oos and aaa....went on. Anyway, I read the story twice then going on doing the whole question and answer. They love it when they got the chance to act in class. Some of them were so cheeky when I did the role play and tease me a lot. The sentence patterns in focus are:

Person A: May I sit here with you?
Person B: Yes.
Person A: Thank you.
Person B: You are welcome.

After the activity, I introduced the punctuation mark. I used a blue card for question mark and red card for full stop. I told them where do we usually used by these marks. I read out the sentence and at the end used the correct card to indicate which mark that I'm currently using.

For enrichment, we did some exercises in the activity book. A blue coloured pencil was used to indicate question mark, while a red coloured pencil were used to show a full stop. I find this lesson appealing in the first part when we did the role play but punctuating need to be reinforce in more lessons to come, Insyaallah.

Reading

Reading lessons were conducted in two classes this week. The first part of the class were to familiarize the pupils with punctuation marks. A full stop and question mark. We did the story again (May I), and we did role play on the dialogue which include the question marks. Pupils were able to identify the usage of question mark is to indicate question and a full stop can be used as a stop to a sentence or as an answer to a question. While doing this, I relate to the story again and showing the punctuation as they showed up in the big book.

In addition, pupils were introduced sentences more or less similar to the one in the story such as:
1. May I have the pen, please?
In this case, the word pen were left for the pupils to substitute. To assist them, I used the picture cards to help them. They only need to spell the words and write it down.

I did the first part of the reading lesson in similar patterns with both of my classes but then while doing the exercise, I only asked 1S to complete the ones in activity book while year 1P continues revising on the word cards and its meaning. I feel it is very important to provide repetition in order to make it familiar thus triggering their unconscious side to remember it as well. 

In reading lesson part two, the lesson for 1P was rather the same as the day before, but with varied activity, involving spell-robic and writing. As for year 1S, the lesson progressed to understanding the punctuation marks. Blue coloured pencil was used to indicate question marks. Pupils copied the sentence and punctuate correctly with guidance.

The sentences used for the pupils to punctuate were as follows:
1. May I go to the toilet?
2. May I go to the canteen?
3. May I go to the book shop?
4. May I go home?

Below is the worksheet used during my absence. The first part is matching activity. Pupils must read and match the pictures to the correct words. The second part was a rearrange exercise of the story May I, under the language art module.






Writing

I was not around at this time, so I assigned them work to do. The task was simply to trace the dot and draw the picture of the intended item. This way, the need to read what was required and draw the picture. The purpose is to get them to connect the words with the meaning. To check their reading ability whether they can draw the correct item.

However, the result of this exercise cannot be a clear indicator of their understanding as the relief teacher might taught them on what to draw. I will go through this exercise again next week. During this exercise it is crucial for teachers to observe the pupils because some might resort to copying which will lead to wrong conclusion of the pupils' understanding.





On Monday, I need to do a whole recap session and identifying those who really in need of help and coach them a little bit more. As for Tuesday, I hope to do some of the assessments and let see how it goes. Till then, enjoy!!!










You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!