Mixed Soup

Saturday, March 24, 2012


The flow of the week were as follows:

Writing


We start off from where we left before the holiday. Writing will be the continuation of what we did. Nothing much, we wrote the letter d, D, I and i. No problem regarding this, all were able to copy from the board now. I just need a leisure day so that they will not feel shocked coming to school on the first day after the break.


Language Arts


Since the week revolves around the story of Dilly Duck (yeah, I repeat the topic), we did some creative work using the characters. For year 1S, we made a small garden with the three characters. We used ice-cream stick, cardboard, coloured paper, glue and scissors, and of course coloured pencils. 


It is very simple, just draw  a character of your choice, cut it in a circle, stick it onto a cardboard and stick everything on the ice-cream stick. It looked like a lollipop. Then I stick it on a polystyrene and wow! It looked like we have planted a pot full of lollipop flowers.


As for my weaker pupils, we did bunting. I hung their art work on a long string and stretch it across the windows. They love to admire their work and until now its still hanging, so I think they really like it.

Listening and speaking


On the third day, we started the new unit, about the body. The vocabulary involved body part as the song, Head and Shoulders. 



The pupils love them! Even the ones in the weaker class were caught singing to themselves during writing task. I find nursery rhymes are good introduction to learning English as it introduces words in fun form. Furthermore, repetition of words allow the learners to learn the rhymes faster thus giving the learning a sense of achievement.


Many of them were familiar with the rhymes and many were able to get the tune right. Pronunciation were emphasis in this turn and I really want the words to come out clearly. 






The drill for this focus were done this way:


1. The teacher sang, Pupils listen.
2. The pupils followed teachers action while the teacher remain as the singer. ( I did this so many times with my weaker pupils because they were not able to take instruction, I am very particular about this)
3. Then the pupils will sing followed by the action. 


This lesson were carried forward to the second day, this time teacher used a doll to demonstrate the body parts. Then, we played "simon says" and turn it into competition. The last one to remain, wins. I managed to tell them on good hygiene and what to do to keep clean and safe.  




Reading


This is where the sight words were introduced, we did the matching activity from the activity book, and this was where the lessons for the week ended. 


Assessment

Since last two weeks, I began assessing pupils reading. The standard involved is B1DB3E1. Previously I did the instrument, however I did some revision and I find it better to assess based on the activities in the activity book. This is because they are familiar with the materials and I can ask them to do their revision on the specific page.






Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for coming!

Proud to be an Alumni

Proud to be an Alumni
Thank you for the opportunities!